Ode to Kale

I had a bunch of kale in the fridge. I want to love kale, but I never really liked the flavor or texture much. I bought some anyway. It has anti-inflammatory properties and contains sulforaphane which is an anti-cancer agent.I thumbed through an old cookbook of mine, The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi and decided on making Aloo Sak. It's a dry cooked type of Indian dish. I changed the recipe a bit, adding sweet potatoes for half of the regular potatoes, and using all kale, instead of half kale and half spinach. Kale finally tasted like I wanted it to. The kale is cooked with spices, (turmeric, cumin, coriander, paprika, lemon juice), and tossed with pan fried baby new and sweet potatoes. The sweetness and spice and sour all melded together beautifully. I served it with fresh broiled grouper with a basil lemon drizzle, and as good as that fish was, the kale was better.
Browning the potatoes
Aloo Sak

Healthy and yummy


Comments

  1. awesomely awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kale, just lightly steamed with a litte salt. Fresh pork, cold saurekraut and kale, a classic.
    xxx
    c

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts