The first week of January, and coming up on the 5th year since Michael passed away. I am hesitant to do  an accounting of all I've achieved and all I've messed up. Five years of putting one foot in front of another. And so it is. Ups and downs. I've been trying way too hard to distract myself from the deep ache in my life, heart and soul.

I am still cooking though. I love the idea of creating feelings with food. When you bake bread, the smell of the toasty loaf through the oven door just inspires good juju. No two ways about it.

So I thought I'd try to bake away my grief.

I had the pleasure of baking brioche rolls with a very easy recipe from Natalie's Blog, Life Made Simple. These cost $5 for 6 at the grocery store and I was tired of buying them. I made 9 for about $1-2.  Plus, I topped mine with sea salt.



Then I thought I'd try a sweet dough. I found this recipe for a Swedish Tea Ring on Allie's Blog, Baking a Moment. The dough recipe was great. But I opted for cinnamon buns instead, so once I rolled out the rectangle, I spread it with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and topped w/cream cheese frosting. Also pretty easy, and delicious.

Tommorrow I try I classic crusty Italian loaf from the Piano, Piano, Pieno Tuscan cookbook that I've had for a long time, and never opened. I made the biga starter earlier today. To be continued.



Comments

Popular Posts